[Numpy-discussion] Meta: help, devel and stackoverflow

Jason Grout jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Sat Jun 30 18:39:15 EDT 2012

On 6/30/12 4:23 PM, srean wrote:
> Indeed they are, but it still needs active "pulling" on behalf of
> those who would want to answer questions and even then a question can
> sink deep in the well. Deeper than what one typically monitors.
> Sometimes question are not appropriately tagged. Sometimes it is not
> obvious what the tag should be, or  which tag is being monitored by
> the persons who might have the answer.
>
> Could be less of a problem for us given that its a more focused group
> and the predefined tags are not split too fine.
>
> I think the main issue is that SO requires more active engagement than
> a mailing list because checking for new mail has become something that
> almost everyone does by default anyway.
>
> Not saying SO is bad, I have benefited greatly from it, but this
> issues should be kept in mind.

You can subscribe to be notified by email whenever a question is posted
to a certain tag.  So then it is no different than a mailing list as far
as push/pull.  As far as mistagging---that is no different than posting
to the wrong mailing list, so I don't see how that is an extra problem.
  In fact, since it's easy to switch the tags, it's easier than a
mailing list to shuttle a question to the right "mailing list"/tag.

Thanks,

Jason

--
Jason Grout