[Numpy-discussion] [Numpy] quadruple precision

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Mar 2 08:39:47 EST 2012

On Mar 2, 2012 10:48 AM, "Paweł Biernat" <pwl_b at wp.pl> wrote:
> The portability is broken for numpy.float128 anyway (as I understand,
> it behaves in different ways on different architectures), so adding a
> new type (call it, say, quad128) that properly supports binary128
> shouldn't be a drawback. Later on, when the hardware support for
> binary128 shows up, the quad128 will be already there.

There's already been movement to deprecate using float128 as the name for
machine-specific long doubles. This just gives even more reason. If/when
someone adds __float128 support to numpy we should really just call it
float128, not quad128. (This would even be backwards compatible, since
float128 currently gives no guarantees on precision or representation.)

- n