[Numpy-discussion] test errors on deprecation/runtime warnings

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 4 15:56:03 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> 2012/2/17 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>
>
>> Hi Ralf
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Ralf Gommers
>> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Last week we merged https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/201, which
>> causes
>> > DeprecationWarning's and RuntimeWarning's to be converted to errors if
>> they
>> > occur when running the test suite.
>>
>> It looks like this change affects other packages, too,
>

> It does, which is why I wanted to bring it up here.
>

>> which may legitimately raise RuntimeWarnings while running their test
>> suites
>> (unless I read the patch wrong).  Would it be an option to rather add
>> a flag (False by default) to enable this behaviour, and enable it
>> inside of numpy.test() ?
>>

> Well, the idea is that this behavior is the correct one for all packages.
> It calls attention to those RuntimeWarnings, which may only occur on
> certain platforms. If they're legitimate, you silence them in the test
> suite of that package. If not, you fix them. Would you agree with that? Or
> would you prefer to just ignore DeprecationWarnings and/or RuntimeWarnings
> in skimage for example?
>
> Note that the changed behavior would only be visible for people running
> numpy master.

This behavior has been made configurable, and I added instructions in
HOWTO_RELEASE to turn it off in maintenance branches, in
https://github.com/rgommers/numpy/compare/pull-219-warnings. There is some
discussion at https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/219.

The intention is to merge this soon, so now is the time to comment.

Ralf