[Numpy-discussion] C++ Example

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Tue Mar 6 19:13:17 EST 2012

On 03/06/2012 12:54 PM, Sturla Molden wrote:
> On 06.03.2012 21:45, Matthieu Brucher wrote:
>
>> This is your opinion, but there are a lot of numerical code now in C++
>> and they are far more maintainable than in Fortran. And they are faster
>> for exactly this reason.
>
> That is mostly because C++ makes tasks that are non-numerical easier.
>
> But that is why we have Python.

In Norwegian there's a saying (as you will know): "Badly reasoned
argument, so talk louder".

Anyway, I agree with you a long way, but saying there's no place at all
for C++ anywhere seems a bit over the top for me. E.g., I believe C++
Elemental made the right choice in C++ (distributed linear algebra,
where they use templates just enough to make things readable, but not
over-the-top like STL or Boost):

http://code.google.com/p/elemental/

Dag