[Numpy-discussion] f2py function name issues

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Fri Mar 9 15:29:37 EST 2012

09.03.2012 21:05, Sameer Grover kirjoitti:
> subroutine union ()
>    write(*,*)'Hello from Fortran90!!!'
> end subroutine union
>
> f2py is unable to wrap this function. Changing the name of the
> subroutine from 'union' to something else works. I understand that
> problems like these have been reported a long time ago
> (http://cens.ioc.ee/pipermail/f2py-users/2003-November/000605.html)
> with some other function names as well.
>
> This looks like a bug to me or is there something I'm missing?

f2py indeed seems to skip names that collide with C keywords. The reason
probably is that it's not guaranteed that the symbol name is mangled to
"union_" but it could also become "union". If the name matches a C
keyword, there's probably no (sane) way to call the function from the C
language, and since f2py goes through C, it's not able to call that.

Whether this is a real problem in practice or not is then a different
question.

The full list of "bad" names is

'int','double','float','char','short','long','void','case','while',
'return','signed','unsigned','if','for','typedef','sizeof','union',
'struct','static','register','new','break','do','goto','switch',
'continue','else','inline','extern','delete','const','auto',
'len','rank','shape','index','slen','size','_i',
'max', 'min', 'flen','fshape',
'string','complex_double','float_double','stdin','stderr','stdout',
'type','default'