[Numpy-discussion] numpy videos

Adam Hughes hugadams at gwmail.gwu.edu
Mon Mar 12 18:42:14 EDT 2012

This is a probably an area that is quite common, so I'd be interested to
hear some other chime in.  I refer to the lookup and storage in numpy data.

Your implementation will of course be unique, but there are several avenues
that you can consider.  Here is how I handle a similar problem.

Imagine I have data, probably similar to yours, where there is qualitative
data (maybe biological or experimental parameters and other things), as
well as numerical data.  I would define a dictionary object that stores
both of these to a unique key.  In my work, I use the original file that
all the information was taken from as my key.  So for example:

dict{ key: (file_info), (data_array, dtype='float')}

The value of the item in the dictionary is split so that the information
and the actually data arrays are kept separate.  Notice my use of
dtype...it is also possible to build your own numpy data type that gives
you a bit more flexibility for storing your data.  This is very useful if
your data is not all that standardized, or if you want to quickly look up
data by reference.  For example, if you have a column in your file called
"counts" and you want later to access this, having a custom datatype will
let you do this with ease.  Anyway, you can read into that later.

This storage type is also highly useful if you need to make new data
structures later.  For example, if you want to plot all of your data in a
multiplot, you can design a method to take this object and return the
formatted multi-array data, as well as any axis arrays that can be
extracted from this data.  Generally, if you can this object built, than
any other representation of the data that you need can be taken from this.
This approach is useful to me, but may not be ideal if your dataset is so
large that you cannot afford to have several data structures that are
holding it simultanesouly in your code.