[Numpy-discussion] float96 on windows32 is float64?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 00:17:21 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am I right in thinking that float96 on windows 32 bit is a float64
> padded to 96 bits?

Yes

>  If so, is it useful?

Yes: this is what allows you to use dtype to parse complex binary files
directly in numpy without having to care so much about those details. And
that's how it is defined on windows in any case (C standard only forces you
to have sizeof(long double) >= sizeof(double)).

>  Has anyone got a windows64
> box to check float128 ?

Too lazy to check on my vm, but I am pretty sure it is 16 bytes on windows
64.

David