[Numpy-discussion] float96 on windows32 is float64?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 00:25:41 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am I right in thinking that float96 on windows 32 bit is a float64
>> padded to 96 bits?
>

> Yes
>

>>  If so, is it useful?
>

> Yes: this is what allows you to use dtype to parse complex binary files
> directly in numpy without having to care so much about those details. And
> that's how it is defined on windows in any case (C standard only forces you
> to have sizeof(long double) >= sizeof(double)).

I propose then to rename this one to float64_96 .

The nexp value in finfo(np.float96) is incorrect I believe, I'll make
a ticket for it.

>>  Has anyone got a windows64
>> box to check float128 ?
>

> Too lazy to check on my vm, but I am pretty sure it is 16 bytes on windows
> 64.

Should you have time to do that, could you confirm it's also a padded
float64 and that nexp is still (incorrectly) 15?   That would be a
great help,

Thanks,

Matthew