[Numpy-discussion] 1.7 blockers

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 19:27:19 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> There several problems with numpy master that need to be fixed before a
>> release can be considered.
>>
>>    1. Datetime on windows with mingw.
>>    2. Bus error on SPARC, ticket #2076.
>>    3. NA and real/complex views of complex arrays.
>>
>> Number 1 has been proved to be particularly difficult, any help or
>> suggestions for that would be much appreciated. The current work has been
>> going in pull request 214 <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/214>.
>>
>> This isn't to say that there aren't a ton of other things that need
>> fixing or that we can skip out on the current stack of pull requests, but I
>> think it is impossible to consider a release while those three problems are
>> outstanding.
>>
> Why do you consider (2) a blocker? Not saying it's not important, but
> there are eight other open tickets with segfaults. Some are more esoteric
> than other, but I don't see why for example #1713 and #1808 are less
> important than this one.
>
> #1522 provides a patch that fixes a segfault by the way, could use a
> review.

I wasn't aware of the other segfaults, I'd like to get them all fixed...
The list was meant to elicit additions.

I don't know where the missed floating point errors come from, but they are
somewhat dependent on the compiler doing the right thing and hardware
support. I'd welcome any insight into why we get them on SPARC (underflow)
and Windows (overflow). The windows buildbot doesn't seem to be updating
correctly since it is still missing the combinations method that is now
part of the test module.

Chuck