[Numpy-discussion] Numpy Memory Error with corrcoef

Nicole Stoffels nicole.stoffels at forwind.de
Tue Mar 27 05:12:40 EDT 2012

Dear all,

I get the following memory error while running my program:

*Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/home/nistl/Software/Netzbetreiber/FLOW/src/MemoryError_Debug.py", line
9, in <module>
     correlation = corrcoef(data_records)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/numpy/lib/function_base.py",
line 1992, in corrcoef
     c = cov(x, y, rowvar, bias)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/numpy/lib/function_base.py",
line 1973, in cov
     return (dot(X, X.T.conj()) / fact).squeeze()
MemoryError*

Here an easy example how to reproduce the error:

*#!/usr/bin/env python2.7

from pybinsel import open
from numpy import *

if __name__ == '__main__':

     data_records = random.random((459375, 24))
     correlation = corrcoef(data_records)

*My real data has the same dimension. Is this a size problem of the
array or did I simply make a mistake in the application of corrcoef?

I hope that you can help me! Thanks!

Best regards,

Nicole Stoffels

--

Dipl.-Met. Nicole Stoffels

Wind Power Forecasting and Simulation

ForWind - Center for Wind Energy Research
Institute of Physics
Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg

Ammerländer Heerstr. 136
D-26129 Oldenburg