[Numpy-discussion] Style for pad implementation in 'pad' namespace or functions under np.lib

Richard Hattersley rhattersley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 03:35:49 EDT 2012

I like where this is going.

Driven by a desire to avoid a million different methods on a single
class, we've done something similar in our library.
So instead of
   thing.mean(....)
   thing.max(...)
   etc.
we have:
   thing.scrunch(MEAN, ...)
   thing.scrunch(MAX, ...)
   etc.
Where the constants like MEAN and MAX encapsulate the process to be
performed - including a reference to a NumPy/user-defined aggregation
function, as well as some other transformation details.

We then found we could reuse the same constants in other operations:
   thing.scrunch(MEAN, ...)
   thing.squish(MEAN, ...)
   thing.rolling_squish(MEAN, ...)

So I have two minor concerns with the current proposal.
1) The use of string constants to identify NumPy processes. It would
seem better to use library defined constants (ufuncs?) for better
future-proofing, maintenance, etc.
2) Why does only "pad" use this style of interface? If it's a good
idea for "pad", perhaps it should be applied more generally?
numpy.aggregate(MEAN, ...), numpy.group(MEAN, ...), etc. anyone?

Richard Hattersley