[Numpy-discussion] Status of np.bincount

Robert Elsner mlist at re-factory.de
Thu May 3 09:24:37 EDT 2012

Hello Everybody,

is there any news on the status of np.bincount with respect to "big"
numbers? It seems I have just been bitten by #225. Is there an efficient
way around? I found the np.histogram function painfully slow.

Below a simple script, that demonstrates bincount failing with a memory
error on big numbers

import numpy as np

x = np.array((30e9,)).astype(int)
np.bincount(x)

Any good idea how to work around it. My arrays contain somewhat 50M
entries in the range from 0 to 30e9. And I would like to have them
bincounted...

cheers
Robert