[Numpy-discussion] 2012 SciPy Bioinformatics Workshop

Chris Mueller cmueller_dev at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 12:44:15 EDT 2012

We are pleased to announce the 2012 SciPy Bioinformatics Workshop held in conjunction with SciPy 2012 this July in Austin, TX.

Python in biology is not dead yet... in fact, it's alive and well!

Remember just a few short years ago when BioPerl ruled the world?  Just one minor paradigm shift* later and Python now has a commanding presence in bioinformatics. From Python bindings to common tools all the way to entire Python-based informatics platforms, Python is used everywhere** in modern bioinformatics.

If you use Python for bioinformatics or just want to learn more about how its being used, join us at the 2012 SciPy Bioinformatics Workshop. We will have speakers from both academia and industry showcasing how Python is enabling biologists to effectively work with large, complex data sets.

The workshop will be held the evening of July 19 from 5-6:30.

More information about SciPy is available on the conference site:
  http://conference.scipy.org/scipy2012/

!! Participate !!

Are you using Python in bioinformatics?  We'd love to have you share your story.  We are looking for 3-4 speakers to share their experiences using Python for bioinformatics.

Please contact Chris Mueller at chris.mueller [at] lab7.io and Ray Roberts at rroberts [at] enthought.com to volunteer. Please include a brief description or link to a paper/topic which you would like to discuss. Presentations will last for 15 minutes each and will be followed by a panel Q&A.

--
* That would be next generation sequencing
** Yes, we aRe awaRe of that otheR language used eveRywhere, but let's celebRate Python Right now.