[Numpy-discussion] Quaternion data type

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat May 5 12:55:00 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Tom Aldcroft
<aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu>wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Ilan Schnell <ischnell at enthought.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Chuck,
> >
> > thanks for the prompt reply.  I as curious because because
> > someone was interested in adding http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Quaternion
> > to EPD, but Martin and Mark's implementation of quaternions
> > looks much better.
>
> Hi -
>
> I'm a co-author of the above mentioned Quaternion package.  I agree
> the numpy_quaternion version would be better, but if there is no
> expectation that it will move forward I can offer to improve our
> Quaternion.  A few months ago I played around with making it accept
> arbitrary array inputs (with similar shape of course) to essentially
> vectorize the transformations.  We never got around to putting this in
> a release because of a perceived lack of interest / priorities... If
> this would be useful then let me know.

Would you be interested in carrying Martin's package forward? I'm not
opposed to having quaternions in numpy/scipy but there needs to be someone
to push it and deal with problems if they come up. Martin's package
disappeared in large part because Martin disappeared. I'd also like to hear
from Mark about other aspects, as there was also a simple rational user
type proposed that we were looking to put in as an extension 'test' type.
IIRC, there were some needed fixes to Numpy, some of which were postponed
in favor of larger changes. User types is one of the things we want ot get
fixed up.

Chuck