[Numpy-discussion] Quaternion data type

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Sat May 5 13:19:17 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Tom Aldcroft <
> aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Ilan Schnell <ischnell at enthought.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Chuck,
>> >
>> > thanks for the prompt reply.  I as curious because because
>> > someone was interested in adding http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Quaternion
>> > to EPD, but Martin and Mark's implementation of quaternions
>> > looks much better.
>>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I'm a co-author of the above mentioned Quaternion package.  I agree
>> the numpy_quaternion version would be better, but if there is no
>> expectation that it will move forward I can offer to improve our
>> Quaternion.  A few months ago I played around with making it accept
>> arbitrary array inputs (with similar shape of course) to essentially
>> vectorize the transformations.  We never got around to putting this in
>> a release because of a perceived lack of interest / priorities... If
>> this would be useful then let me know.
>>

> Would you be interested in carrying Martin's package forward? I'm not
> opposed to having quaternions in numpy/scipy but there needs to be someone
> to push it and deal with problems if they come up. Martin's package
> disappeared in large part because Martin disappeared. I'd also like to hear
> from Mark about other aspects, as there was also a simple rational user
> type proposed that we were looking to put in as an extension 'test' type.
> IIRC, there were some needed fixes to Numpy, some of which were postponed
> in favor of larger changes. User types is one of the things we want ot get
> fixed up.

I kind of like the idea of there being a package, separate from numpy,
which collects these dtypes together. To start, the quaternion and the
rational type could go in it, and eventually I think it would be nice to
move datetime64 there as well. Maybe it could be called numpy-dtypes, or
would a more creative name be better?

-Mark