[Numpy-discussion] Is NumpyDotNet (aka numpy-refactor) likely to be merged into the mainline?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat May 5 16:21:14 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Seth Nickell <snickell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> With a little work, I think numpy/scipy could be very useful to those
>> of us who have to program on .NET for one reason or another, but
>> 64-bit is currently not supported (at least, not as released).
>>
>> I'm considering working out 64-bit support, but it appears to me like
>> the numpy-refactor repository isn't on a path to merging with the
>> mainline, and is likely to bit-rot (if it hasn't already). Is anyone
>> working on this, or is NumpyDotNet 'resting' at the moment, so to
>> speak? Its sort of pointless to work on a dead-end branch ;-)
>>

> It's my impression that that would indeed be pointless - at least for the
> near future. If there are still plans to work on the refactor branch,
> someone please correct me.

I think it is pining for the fjords. It was developed in parallel with
numpy and fell way, way behind. We need a good incremental path forward
where the two branches are kept much closer together if we do this again.

If you are motivated to work over the long term, we eventually want to have
a 'base' numpy that can be more easily ported to IronPython and something
like the .NET interface is going to be needed if that port is made. There
is probably a lot of useful work in there. I'm pretty unclear on the
details of these future developments. Revisiting the documentation of
the fundamental
changes <http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/NumPyRefactoring> would be a
good thing to do so we can discuss what parts to pull into numpy or
reimplement.

Is IronPython development still active?

Chuck