[Numpy-discussion] Issue Tracking

Paul Ivanov pivanov314 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 17:36:53 EDT 2012

+1 on migrating issues to GitHub, I'm so glad this discussion is happening.

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Uh oh. We are short on developers as is... Which brings up a question, do
> people need a github account to open an issue?

Creating an account on GH is currently required, but it's automated and
self-evident how to do that.

This little anecdote may say more about me than it does about the Trac
instance, but I think it makes a point anyway:

I came across a minor numpy or scipy issue last week while running the test
suite, which was in a part of the project I don't use, and wanted to
quickly report it, (or maybe just add some details to an existing ticket, I
don't recall). I went to the GH page first, and saw that only Pull Requests
were handled there, so I figured it must still be on the Trac. I went there
to try to open a new ticket and then got something like this message:

Notice: You are currently not logged in. You may want to do so now.
Error: Forbidden

TICKET_CREATE privileges are required to perform this operation

TracGuide — The Trac User and Administration Guide

I tried to login and got an .htaccess login box in the browser - I tried to
remember a username password combination that Jarrod set up for me back in
2008?

each time I failed, I was then greeted with:
Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document
requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password),
or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at projects.scipy.org Port 80

Of course, taking a look now, I should have either been more diligent about
finding the "forgot your password?" link [1] or just created a new username
[2],
but at the time it seemed like there was no concrete way to proceed
forward. With that, the error didn't seem important enough and I decided to
get back to the matter at hand - so I gave up. :\

So it really is nice to have everything in one place. When matplotlib had
its tickets on SourceForge, I rarely ventured over there to check them, but
now that they are on GitHub, everyone with the commit bit gets an email
when a new issue is opened, and it makes it a lot easier to pitch in and
participate.

1. http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/reset_password
2. http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/register

best,
--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: