[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.6.2 release candidate 1

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat May 12 15:17:29 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce the availability of the first release candidate
> of
> > NumPy 1.6.2.  This is a maintenance release. Due to the delay of the
> NumPy
> > 1.7.0, this release contains far more fixes than a regular NumPy bugfix
> > release.  It also includes a number of documentation and build
> improvements.
> >
> > Sources and binary installers can be found at
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.6.2rc1/
> >
> > Please test this release and report any issues on the numpy-discussion
> > mailing list.
> > BLD:   add support for the new X11 directory structure on Ubuntu & co.
>
> We've just discovered that this fix is not enough. Actually the new
> directories are due to the "multi-arch" feature of Debian systems,
> that allows to install libraries from other (foreign) architectures
> than the one the machine is (the classic example, i386 libraries on a
> amd64 host).
>
> the fix included to look up in additional directories is currently
> only for X11, while for example Debian has fftw3 that's
> multi-arch-ified and thus will fail to be detected.
>
> Could this fix be extended to include all other things that are
> checked? for reference the bug in Debian is [1]; there was also a
> patch[2] in previous versions, that was using gcc to get the
> multi-arch paths - you might use as a reference, or to implement
> something debian-systems-specific.
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=640940
> [2]
> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/python-modules/packages/numpy/trunk/debian/patches/50_search-multiarch-paths.patch?view=markup&pathrev=21168
>
> It would be awesome is such support would end up in 1.6.2 .

Hardcoding some more paths to check in distutils/system_info.py should be
OK, also for 1.6.2 (will require a new RC).

The --print-multiarch thing looks very questionable. As far as I can tell,
it's a Debian specific gcc patch, only available in gcc 4.6 and up. Ubuntu
before 11.10 release also doesn't have it. Therefore I don't think use of
--print-multiarch is appropriate for numpy for now, and certainly not a
change I'd like to make to distutils right before a release.

If anyone with access to a Debian/Ubuntu system could come up with a patch
which adds the right paths to system_info.py, that would be great.

Ralf