[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.6.2 release candidate 1

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat May 12 15:50:59 EDT 2012

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Paul Anton Letnes <
> paul.anton.letnes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm getting a couple of errors when testing. System:
>> Arch Linux (updated today)
>> Python 3.2.3
>> gcc 4.7.0
>> (Anything else?)
>>
>> I think that this error:
>> AssertionError: selectedrealkind(19): expected -1 but got 16
>> is due to the fact that newer versions of gfortran actually supports
>> precision this high (quad precision).
>>

> Yes, but it should be fixed. I can't duplicate this here with a fresh
> checkout of the branch.

This failure makes no sense to me.

Error comes from this code:
    'selectedrealkind(%s): expected %r but got %r' %  (i,
selected_real_kind(i), selectedrealkind(i)))

So "selected_real_kind(19)" returns -1.

selected_real_kind is the function
numpy.f2py.crackfortran._selected_real_kind_func, which is defined as:

def _selected_real_kind_func(p, r=0, radix=0):
    #XXX: This should be processor dependent
    # This is only good for 0 <= p <= 20
    if p < 7: return 4
    if p < 16: return 8
    if platform.machine().lower().startswith('power'):
        if p <= 20:
            return 16
    else:
        if p < 19:
            return 10
        elif p <= 20:
            return 16
    return -1

For p=19 this function should always return 16. So the result from
compiling foo.f90 is fine, but the test is broken in a very strange way.

Paul, is the failure reproducible on your machine? If so, can you try to
debug it?

Ralf