[Numpy-discussion] Fixing issue of future opaqueness of ndarray this summer

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sat May 12 22:39:59 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io> wrote:

> On May 12, 2012, at 9:01 PM, Matthew Brett wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io> wrote:
>>> Your thoughts are definitely the future.   We are currently building such a thing.   We would like it to be open source.    We are currently preparing a proposal to DARPA as part of their XDATA proposal in order to help fund this.    Email me offlist if you would like to be a part of this proposal.    You don't have to be a U.S. citizen to participate in this.
>>
>> What if this work that you are doing now is not open-source?  What
>> relationship will it have to numpy?
>
> Anything DARPA funds will be open source if we are lucky enough to get them to support it our vision.   I'm not sure the exact relationship to current NumPy at this point.    That's why I suggested the need to discuss this on a different venue than this list.    But, this is just me personally interested in something at this point.
>

>> It's difficult to have a productive discussion on the list if the main
>> work is going on elsewhere, and we don't know what it is.
>
> I'm not sure how to make sense of this statement.    The *main* work of *NumPy* is happening on this list.   Nothing should be construed in what I have said to indicate otherwise.   My statement that "we are currently building such a thing" obviously does not apply to NumPy.
>
> Of course work on other things might happen elsewhere and in other ways.    At this point, all contributors to NumPy also work on other things as far as I know.

In your email above you said "Your thoughts are definitely the future.
  We are currently building such a thing.   We would like it to be
open source."  I assume you meant, the future of numpy.  Did you mean
something else?  Will there be a 'numpy-pro'? If so, how would that
relate to the future of numpy?

See you,

Matthew