[Numpy-discussion] Scipy build can't find BLAS when using numpy master? (Was: Should arr.diagonal() return a copy or a view? (1.7 compatibility issue))

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed May 16 11:21:21 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:
>
>>> Just as a sanity check, do the scipy tests run without producing any such
>>> messages?
>>
>> I tried checking this before, actually, but can't figure out how to
>> build scipy against a copy of numpy that is installed in either a
>> virtualenv or just on PYTHONPATH. (Basically, I just don't want to
>> install some random development numpy into my system python.) Any
>> suggestions?
>
> scipy will build against whatever numpy the python executable that
> runs the setup.py manages to import. So if you are using virtualenv,
> just make sure that the virtualenv is activated and "python" refers to
> the virtualenv's python executable.

Yes, tried that :-/. I assumed the error was because of some
vritualenv wonkiness or something, though (IIRC virtualenv didn't use
to be supported?).

On further investigation, it appears that scipy 0.10.1 (from the git
tag) just flat out doesn't build against current numpy master, at
least on my box :-(.

I built some pristine python 2.7 installs from scratch (no virtualenv,
no distro tweaks, etc.). Then I installed some version of numpy in
each, then tried building scipy. With numpy 1.6.1 (built from git),
everything seems fine - it finds atlas in /usr/lib64/atlas.

With current numpy master (3bbbbd416a0a), numpy itself builds fine,
but scipy's setup.py can't find atlas (even though it's looking in the
right places). Log attached.

This is on 64-bit Ubuntu 11.04 "natty".

Thoughts?

-- Nathaniel