[Numpy-discussion] fromstring() is slow, no really!

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu May 17 11:13:55 EDT 2012

Anthony,

Thanks for looking into this. A few other notes about fromstring() (
and fromfile() ).

Frankly they haven't gotten much love -- they are, as you have seen,
less than optimized, and kind of buggy (actually, not really buggy,
but not robust in the face of malformed input -- and they give results
that are wrong in some cases (rather throwing an error, for instance).
So they realy do need some attention.

On the other hand -- folks are working on various ways to optimize
reading data from text files (and maybe strings) so that may be a
better way to go.

If you google "fromstring barker numpy" you'll find a thread or too
with what I learned, and pointers to a couple tickets. What I do
remember:

The use of atof and friends is complicated because there are python
version that extend the C lib versions, and numpy versions that extend
those (for better NaN handling, for instance).

the source of the lack of robustness stems from the fact that the
error checking is not done right when calling atof and friends -- i.e.
you need to check if the pointer was incrememnted to see if it
successfully read a value. With the layered calls to numpy and python
versions, I found it very hard to fix this.

Profile carefully to check your theory about limited over-allocation
of memory being the source of the performance issues -- when i've
tested similar code, it made little difference -- allocating and
copying memory is actually pretty fast. If you re-allocate an copy
every single append, it's slow, yes, but I found virtually no
difference between over-allocating say 10% or 50% (not sure what the
bottom reasonable value was there)

Good luck,

-Chris