[Numpy-discussion] pre-PEP for making creative forking of NumPy less destructive

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Fri May 18 07:48:18 EDT 2012

On 17 May 2012 23:53, Dag Sverre Seljebotn <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
> [...]
> both for morale and developer recruitment.
>
> The meat:
>
> There's already of course been work on making the NumPy C API work
> through an indirection layer to make a more stable ABI. This is about
> changing the ideas of how that indirection should happen, so that you
> could in theory implement the C API independently of NumPy.
>
> You could for instance make a "mini-NumPy" that only contains the bare
> essentials, and load that in the same process as the real NumPy, and use
> the C API against objects from both libraries.
>
> I'll assume that we can get a PEP through by waving a magic wand, since
> that makes it easier to focus on essentials. There's many ugly or less
> ugly hacks to make it work on any existing CPython [1], and they
> wouldn't be so ugly if there's PEP blessing for the general idea.
>
> Imagine if PyTypeObject grew an extra pointer "tp_customslots", which
> pointed to an array of these:
>
> typedef struct {
>     unsigned long tpe_id;
>     void *tpe_data;
> } PyTypeObjectCustomSlot;
>
> The ID space is partitioned to anyone who asks, and NumPy is given a
> large chunk. To insert a "custom slot", you stick it in this list. And
> you search it linearly for, say, PYTYPE_CUSTOM_NUMPY_SLOT (each type
> will typically have 0-3 entries so the search is very fast).
>
> I've benchmarked something very similar recently, and the overhead in a
> "hot" situation is on the order of 4-6 cycles. (As for cache, you can at
> least stick the slot array right next to the type object in memory.)
>
> Now, a NumPy array would populate this list with 1-2 entries pointing to
> tables of function pointers for the NumPy C API. This lookup through the
> PyTypeObject would in part replace the current import_array() mechanism.
>
> I'd actually propose two such custom slots for ndarray for starters:
>
>  a) One PEP 3118-like binary description that exposes raw data pointers
> (without the PEP 3118 red tape)
>
>  b) A function pointer table for a suitable subset of the NumPy C API
> (obviously not array construction and so on)
>
> The all-important PyArray_DATA/DIMS/... would be macros that try for a)
> first, but fall back to b). Things like PyArray_Check would actually
> check for support of these slots, "duck typing", rather than the Python
> type (of course, this could only be done at a major revision like NumPy
> 2.0 or 3.0).
>
> The overhead should be on the order of 5 cycles per C API call. That
> should be fine for anything but the use of PyArray_DATA inside a tight
> loop (which is a bad idea anyway).
>
> For now I just want to establish if there's support for this general
> idea, and see if I can get some weight behind a PEP (and ideally a
> co-author), which would make this a general approach and something more
> than an ugly NumPy specific hack. We'd also have good use for such a PEP
> in Cython (and, I believe, Numba/SciPy in CEP 1000).

Well, you have my vote, but you already knew that. I'd also be willing
to co-author any PEP etc, but I'm sensing it may be more useful to
have support from people from different projects. Personally, I think
if this is to succeed, we first need to fix the design to work for
subclasses (I think one may just want to memcpy the interface
information over to the subclass, e.g. through a convenience function
that allows one to add more as well). If we have a solid idea of the
technical implementation, we should actually implement it and present
the benchmarks, comparing the results to capsules as attributes (and
to the _PyType_Lookup approach).

If we have come that far, then even at that point people may argue
that one could do the same thing through a metaclass, and that this is
too project specific. If people don't care for the standardization,
then we could just keep this as a "scientific community proposal".
That would be somewhat disappointing as it hurts standardization,
adoption and elegance.

BTW, if we propose it, it would probably be a good idea to have
concrete examples of how non-standardization, e.g. PyCUDA/PyOpenCL,
Theano, Numpy, GNumpy, etc have different arrays. See
http://deeplearning.net/software/theano/tutorial/gpu_data_convert.html
, it may help drive the point through. (Of course GPU arrays can't be
handled through a numpy-standardized duck-typing interface, but the
ones that live in main memory can. Furthermore, this same proposal can
help standardize conversion and operations between GPU arrays as
well).
If we can find even more examples, preferably outside of the
scientific community, where related projects face a similar situation,
it may help people understand that this is not "a Numpy problem".