[Numpy-discussion] pre-PEP for making creative forking of NumPy less destructive

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Fri May 18 08:45:51 EDT 2012

Henry Gomersall <heng at cantab.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 12:48 +0100, mark florisson wrote:
>> If we can find even more examples, preferably outside of the
>> scientific community, where related projects face a similar
>situation,
>> it may help people understand that this is not "a Numpy problem".
>
>Buffer Objects in OpenGL?

There is already PEP 3118 though.

I would focus on the 'polymorphic C API' spin. PyObject_GetItem is polymorphic, but there is no standard way for 3rd party libraries to make such functions.

So let's find a C API that's NOT about arrays at all and show how some polymorphism may help.

Of course there's a couple of non-array Cython usecases too.

Dag