[Numpy-discussion] pre-PEP for making creative forking of NumPy less destructive

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Fri May 18 13:59:51 EDT 2012

On 05/18/2012 05:00 PM, Henry Gomersall wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 14:45 +0200, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
>> I would focus on the 'polymorphic C API' spin. PyObject_GetItem is
>> polymorphic, but there is no standard way for 3rd party libraries to
>> make such functions.
>>
>> So let's find a C API that's NOT about arrays at all and show how some
>> polymorphism may help.
>>
> so memory mapped IO or something?

A C API towards a Python extension that's in wide use; an analog to the
NumPy C API in a different domain. Something like a web server or
database Python extension module which also exports a C API for writing
other Python extension modules against it.

I'm not even sure if such a thing exists, in which case NumPy would
indeed be a special case.

Dag