[Numpy-discussion] Masked Array for NumPy 1.7

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Sun May 20 00:48:20 EDT 2012

> My own plan for the near term would be as follows:
>
> 1) Put in the experimental option and get the 1.7 release out. This gets us through the next couple of months and keeps things moving.

The "experimental" option does not solve the problem which is that the ndarray object now has masked fields which changes the fundamental nature of an ndarray for a lot of downstream users that really have no idea what has just happened.    I don't see how this has been addressed by any proposal except for the one I have suggested which allows a masked array object and a regular ndarray to co-exist for a time.    I doubt that the proposal actually helps get 1.7 out any faster either as there are multiple experimental APIs that would have to be created to pull it off on both the C and Python level.