[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] Cell magics in IPython master

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sun May 27 07:11:55 EDT 2012

Hi Fernando,

Excellent work!

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> In a similar spirit, Jonathan Taylor recently created one to call R
> transparently in the notebook:
>
> https://github.com/jonathan-taylor/Rmagic
>
> This one hasn't been fully updated to the final API, but the core code
> is there and now it should be a trivial matter to update it.

You guys are probably aware, but just in case, note that there's an
earlier (quite featureful) version of this idea included in the old
rnumpy code:
  https://bitbucket.org/njs/rnumpy/wiki/IPython_integration
  https://bitbucket.org/njs/rnumpy/src/b0f03e06aa0f/ipy_rnumpy.py

Unfortunately it has bit-rotten some (written against rpy2 2.0.x and
IPython 0.10ish, uses prefilters instead of %magic because %magic's
couldn't do what I wanted), but it might be useful for code or
inspiration.

-- Nathaniel