[Numpy-discussion] why Segmentation fault (core dumped)?

Chao YUE chaoyuejoy at gmail.com
Sun May 27 12:27:47 EDT 2012

Dear Jeff,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think it might be related with the memory
management on our sever. But anyway, as you suggested, I open an issue on
netcdf4-python.google.co <http://netcdf4-python.google.com>m. you can find
the data and script on ftp://ftp.cea.fr/incoming/y2k01/chaoyue/. The
cal_cmi_big.py gave the core dumped error, in which I tried to operate with
big files (~2G). The cal_cmi_small.py works fine, which  handles data only
~25M (a subset of big files). I used a small function (which use NetCDF4)
in the script to read and write nc data with NetCDF4. You can also find
this function in ncfunc.py. I tested all the script and data before I
upload on our ftp.

thanks again for your help,

cheers,

Chao

2012/5/26 Jeff Whitaker <jswhit at fastmail.fm>

>  On 5/26/12 5:51 AM, Chao YUE wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> Previously I am able to run a script on our server but now it gave me a
> Segmentation fault (core dumped) error.
> try I tried the script with same type of netcdf file but with much smaller
> file size and it works. So I think the error is related with memory stuff.
> I guess it's because our system administrator make some change somewhere
> and that cause my problem?
> the file size that cause the error to appear is 2.6G (in the script I read
> this file with NetCDF4 to numpy array and make some manipulation),
> the small one without error is only 48M.
>

> Chao:  Without seeing your script, there's not much I can say.  I suggest
> opening an issue at netcdf4-python.google.com, including your script as
> an attachment.  You'll probably have to post the data file somewhere
> (dropbox perhaps?) so I can run the script that triggers the segfault.
>
> -Jeff

Chao YUE
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement (LSCE-IPSL)
UMR 1572 CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
Batiment 712 - Pe 119
91191 GIF Sur YVETTE Cedex
Tel: (33) 01 69 08 29 02; Fax:01.69.08.77.16