[Numpy-discussion] [enhancement] sum_angle() and sum_polar()

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue May 29 14:06:11 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Robert Jördens <jordens at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io>
> wrote:
> >> I could see these functions going into scipy.ndimage but again because
> they
> >> are not necessarily just image processing functions, and the fact that
> they
> >> are so simple, perhaps they are best put into NumPy itself.
> >
> > I'm wondering about the general applicability of these functions.  Can
> > anyone suggest some use cases?
>
> An example from solid state physics:
> If you have a spin chain with some long-range interaction and you have
> the known, dense, coupling matrix J, sum_angle(J, pi/4) gives you a
> view at the distance dependence of the interaction.

I'd like to see these functions is scipy somewhere. The function names
aren't very descriptive and the one line summaries don't give a very good
idea of what they do, so I think those bits could use improvement. Mention
of the Hough/Radon transform would help, I had to pull out that connection
by reading the code...

Chuck