[Numpy-discussion] Scipy dot

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Nov 8 06:28:21 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Nicolas SCHEFFER
<scheffer.nicolas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've written a snippet of code that we could call scipy.dot, a drop-in
> replacement for numpy.dot.
> It's dead easy, and just answer the need of calling the right blas
> function depending on the type of arrays, C or F order (aka slowness
> of np.dot(A, A.T))
>
> While this is not the scipy mailing list, I was wondering if this
> snippet would relevant and/or useful to others, numpy folks, scipy
> folks or could be integrated directly in numpy (so that we keep the
> nice A.dot(B) syntax)

I think everyone would be very happy to see numpy.dot modified to do
this automatically. But adding a scipy.dot IMHO would be fixing things
in the wrong place and just create extra confusion.

Is it possible to avoid changing the default output order from C to F?
(E.g. by transposing everything relative to what you have now?) That
seems like a change that would be good to avoid if it's easy.

-n