[Numpy-discussion] Scipy dot

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Fri Nov 9 03:48:26 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 11:29:19AM -0600, Anthony Scopatz wrote:
>     Indeed, there is no reason not to make this available in NumPy.

> +1, I agree, this should be a fix in numpy, not scipy.

I agree.

My point was a bit of a side issue: given a user's computer, I have no
garantee that numpy will be compiled with an optimized blas. In fact, I
have often seen on computing clusters where people tend to compile stuff
manually numpy using the embedded lapack_lite. On the other hand, scipy
is necessarily compiled using a blas. This is why, as a developer, I
always write code that uses scipy.linalg rather than numpy.linalg.
However, for 'dot', I have no way of ensuring that the blas used to
compile scipy is used.

Cheers,

Gaël