[Numpy-discussion] float32 to float64 casting

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Sat Nov 17 15:52:11 EST 2012

On Saturday, November 17, 2012, Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Olivier Delalleau <shish at keba.be<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'shish at keba.be');>
> > wrote:
>
>> 2012/11/17 Gökhan Sever <gokhansever at gmail.com <javascript:_e({},
>> 'cvml', 'gokhansever at gmail.com');>>
>>

>>> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'njs at pobox.com');>

>>> OK, I see your point. Python numeric data objects and NumPy data objects
>>> mixed operations require more attention.
>>>
>>> The following causes float32 overflow --rather than casting to float64
>>> as in the case for Python float multiplication, and behaves like in IDL.
>>>
>>> I3 (np.float32(5555)*np.float32(5e38))
>>> O3 inf
>>>
>>> However, these two still surprises me:
>>>
>>> I5 (np.float32(5555)*1).dtype
>>> O5 dtype('float64')
>>>
>>> I6 (np.float32(5555)*np.int32(1)).dtype
>>> O6 dtype('float64')
>>>

>> That's because the current way of finding out the result's dtype is based
>> on input dtypes only (not on numeric values), and numpy.can_cast('int32',
>> 'float32') is False, while numpy.can_cast('int32', 'float64') is True (and
>> same for int64).
>> Thus it decides to cast to float64.
>>

> It might be nice to revisit all the casting rules at some point, but
> current experience suggests that any changes will lead to cries of pain and
> outrage ;)
>
> Chuck

Can we at least put these examples into the tests?  Also, I think the
bigger issue was that, unlike deprecation of a function, it is much harder
to grep for particular operations, especially in a dynamic language like
python. What were intended as minor bugfixes ended up becoming much larger.

Has the casting table been added to the tests?  I think that will bring
much more confidence and assurances for future changes going forward.

Cheers!
Ben Root