[Numpy-discussion] Confused with qr decomposition function

Virgil Stokes vs at it.uu.se
Mon Nov 19 18:17:53 EST 2012

I am using the latest versions of numpy (from
numpy-1.7.0b2-win32-superpack-python2.7.exe) and scipy (from
scipy-0.11.0-win32-superpack-python2.7.exe ) on a windows 7 (32-bit)
platform.

I have used

import numpy as np
q,r = np.linalg.qr(A)

and compared the results obtained  from MATLAB (R2010B)

[q,r] = qr(A)

The q,r returned from numpy are both the negative of theq,r returned
from MATLAB for the same matrix A. I believe that the q,r returned from
MATLAB are correct. Why am I getting their negative from numpy?

Note, I have tried this on several different matrices ---  numpy always
gives the negative of MATLAB's q,r values.
[I mistakenly have already sent a similar email to the scipy list ---
please excuse this mistake.]