[Numpy-discussion] In case anybody wants them: py4science.* domains...

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 27 16:51:11 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Anthony Scopatz <scopatz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 1:30 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Perhaps http://numfocus.org/ could take them on, or the PSF?
>> > (even if they don't have a specific use in mind immediately)
>> > For the short them I'd just have them redirect to www.scipy.org ;)
>>
>> I asked on the numfocus list and nobody was really interested, and I
>> floated the question at a board meeting and folks also agreed that
>> with the limited time/resources numfocus has right now, there were
>> more important things to do.
>>
>> So I'll just let them lapse, if anybody cares, they'll be open for the
>> taking come December 3 :)
>

> Gah! Sorry for missing this.  I actually think that the redirection idea is
> a really good one.

It seems more worthwhile than just letting a domain squatter use it.

> It can't be that expensive to just maintain these indefinitely.
> I'd rather us have them than someone else.  I'll make a motion for this
> on the NumFOCUS list.

The domain registration cost is minimal, and if NumFOCUS are
already looking after existing domains the extra admin should
be minimal.

Could you keep us informed if the domains still need a home?
Might make a good domain name for a blog... hmm.

Thanks,

Peter