[Numpy-discussion] Behavior of .base

Thouis (Ray) Jones thouis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 10:40:52 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> [...]
> How can we discourage people from doing this in the future? Can we
> make .base write-only from the Python level (with suitable deprecation
> period)? Rename it to ._base (likewise) so that it's still possible to
> peek under the covers but we remind people that it's really an
> implementation detail with poorly defined semantics that might change?

Could we use the simpler .base behavior (fully collapsing the .base
chain), but be more aggressive about propagating information like
address/filename/offset for np.arrays that are created by slicing,
asarray(), etc.?

Ray
(Sorry if I'm missing some context that makes this suggestion idiotic.
 I'm still trying to catch back up on the list and may have missed
relevant discussion on other threads.)