[Numpy-discussion] set_printoptions precision and single floats

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 22:15:52 EDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Dan Goodman <dg.gmane at thesamovar.net> wrote:
> On 06/10/2012 18:17, Ralf Gommers wrote:
>> Do you mean scalars or arrays? For me set_printoptions only affects
>> arrays and not scalars. Both float32 and float64 arrays work as advertised:
>
> Yep, I mean scalars (although as Warren noted, it also affects e.g.
> array(1.23456789)).

My impression from previous discussions on the mailing list is that
this is by design:

printing of scalars and scalar arrays is handed off to python which
doesn't have a set_printoptions.
printing of arrays is under the control of numpy

I don't see a way to influence the __str__ or __repr__ of a python float.

Josef