[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: [numpy] ENH: Initial implementation of a 'neighbor' calculation (#303)

T J tjhnson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 14:25:29 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla at molden.no> wrote:

> I'm still rather sure GIS functionality belongs in scipy.spatial instead
> of numpy.
>

>From the link:

"""
FocalMax

Finds the highest value for each cell location on an input grid within
a specified neighborhood and sends it to the corresponding cell
location on the output grid.
"""

Isn't this much more generic than GIS?  Maybe the criteria should be:
 "Would you expect to find extensive discussion on this functionality
within a standard text on spatial data structures?"  Sliding windows and
nice boundary handling seems less "spatial" to me, and much further from
B-trees, quadtress, kd-trees, persistent data structures, etc.  Can you
elaborate your position a bit more?  Sorry if I'm being dense.