[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.7b1 API change cause big trouble

Frédéric Bastien nouiz at nouiz.org
Wed Sep 5 13:36:15 EDT 2012

Hi,

I spent up to now 2 or 3 days making change to Theano to support numpy
1.7b1. But now, I just find an interface change that will need
recoding a function, not just small code change.

The problem is that we can't access fields from PyArrayObject anymore,
we absolutely must use the old macro/newly function.

For the data field, the new function don't allow to set it. There is
no function that allow to do this. After so much time spent on small
syntactic change, I don't feel making more complex change today.

Also, I think there should be a function PyArray_SetDataPtr as similar
to PyArray_SetBaseObject.

Do you plan to add one? I though that you wanted to force the removing
of the old API, but I never hear you wanted to disable this.

The only current work around is to create a new Array, but then we
need to update the refcount and other stuff. This will make the code
slower too.

I'll make another post on the problem I got when making Theano work
with numpy 1.7b1, but I want to make this functionality removing
problem into its own thread.

So, do you plan to add an PyArray_SetDataPtr? Do you agree we should have one?

Fred