[Numpy-discussion] Making numpy sensible: backward compatibility please

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat Sep 29 05:16:00 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 07:37:35PM -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:
>     +1, I think we should endeavor to have a respectful and welcoming
>     community.

> With a bit of humour now and then among the old timers, no? Look, I've been
> outright insulted on the list and I don't recall anyone weighing in about
> civility at the time. But nor am I a tender flower. But we are going way off
> topic, no?

I think that Chuck and I know each other well enough to understand that
this pique is not intended to be disrespectful and is full of humour. I
bystander might feel different, but I am actually laughing and smiling at
Chuck's answer. I know that he is serious and means it, and respect his
point of view I somehow feel that this is just a very opinionated way of
expressing his enthusiasm about numpy, almost like a Frenchman would do
:}.

Chuck: point taken. I agree with some of your points, and I am certainly
not taking it badly. I know you well enough to know that you are an
enthusiastic, and very friendly person who invests a lot of time in
numpy. Next time I see you, I owe you a beer for making you cross :). I
should be at scipy next year. I'll settle my debt in beer hopefully, if I
have the chance to see you.

Take care,

Gaël