[Numpy-discussion] Raveling, reshape order keyword unnecessarily confuses index and memory ordering

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Mon Apr 1 13:23:39 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-31 at 14:04 -0700, Matthew Brett wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > basic usage:
> > ravel, reshape in pure index order, and indexing, broadcasting, ...
> >
> > advanced usage:
> > memory layout and some ability to predict when you get a view and
> > when you get a copy.
>
> Right - that is what you think - but I was asking - do you agree that
> it's possible that that is not best way to teach it?
>
> What evidence would you give that it was the best way to teach it?
>
> > And I still think words can mean different things in different context
> > (with a qualifier maybe)
> > indexing in fortran order
> > memory in fortran order
>
> Right - but you'd probably also accept that using the same word for
> different and related things is likely to cause confusion?   I'm sure
> we could come up with some experimental evidence for that if you do
> doubt it.
>
> > Disclaimer: I never tried to teach numpy
> > and with GSOC students my explanations only went a little bit
> > beyond what they needed to know for the purpose at hand (I hope)
> >

> >> You believe it is desirable, I believe that it is not - that teaching
> >> numpy naturally involves some discussion of memory layout.
> >>
> >> As evidence:
> >>
> >> * My student, without any prompting about memory layouts, is asking about it
> >> * Travis' numpy book has a very early section on this (section 2.3 -
> >> memory layout)
> >> * I often think about memory layouts, and from your discussion, you do
> >> too.  It's uncommon that you don't have to teach something that
> >> experienced users think about often.
> >
> > I'm mentioning memory layout because I'm talking to you.
> > I wouldn't talk about memory layout if I would try to explain ravel,
> > reshape and indexing for the first time to a student.
> >
> >> * The most common use of 'order' only refers to memory layout.  For
> >> example np.array "order" doesn't refer to index ordering but to memory
> >> layout.
> >
> > No, as I tried to show with the statsmodels example.
> > I don't require GSOC students (that are relatively new to numpy) to understand
> > much about memory layout.
> > The only use of ``order`` in statsmodels refers to *index* order in
> > ravel and reshape.
> >
> >> * The current docstring of 'reshape' cannot be explained without
> >> referring to memory order.
> >
> > really ?
> > I thought reshape only refers to *index* order for "F" and "C"
>
> Here's the docstring for 'reshape':
>
> order : {'C', 'F', 'A'}, optional
>     Determines whether the array data should be viewed as in C
>     (row-major) order, FORTRAN (column-major) order, or the C/FORTRAN
>     order should be preserved.
>
> The 'A' option cannot be explained without reference to 'C' or 'F'
> *memory* layout - i.e. a different meaning of the 'C' and 'F" in the
> indexing interpretation.
>
> Actually, as a matter of interest - how would you explain the behavior
> of 'A' when the array is neither 'C' or 'F' memory layout?  Maybe that

The 'A' means C-order unless `ndarray.flags.fnc == True` (which means
"fortran not C"). The detail about "not C" should not matter really for
copies, for reshape it should maybe be mentioned more clearly. Though
honestly, reshaping with 'A' seems so weird to me, I doubt anyone ever
does it. As for ravel... you can probably just as well use 'K' instead
which is even less restrictive.

- Sebastian