[Numpy-discussion] Raveling, reshape order keyword unnecessarily confuses index and memory ordering

Éric Depagne eric at depagne.org
Tue Apr 2 03:26:05 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Since we're mentionning obvious and non-obvious naming,

> I think you agree that there is potential for confusion, and there
> doesn't seem any reason to continue with that confusion if we can come
> up with a clearer name.
>
> So here is a compromise proposal.
>
> How about:
>
> * Preferring the names 'c-style' and 'f-style' for the indexing order
> case (ravel, reshape, flatiter)

This naming scheme is obvious for the ones that have been doing some coding for
a long time, but they tend not to speak to anyone else. Why not use naming
that are a little bit more explicit (and of course, keep the legacy naming
available), and use 'row-first' and 'column-first' (or anything else that may be
more explicit) ?

Cheers,

Éric.