[Numpy-discussion] timezones and datetime64

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Wed Apr 3 12:51:38 EDT 2013

Mark Wiebe and I are both still tracking NumPy development and can provide
context and even help when needed.    Apologies if we've left a different
impression.   We have to be prudent about the time we spend as we have
other projects we are pursuing as well, but we help clients with NumPy
issues all the time and are eager to continue to improve the code base.

It seems to me that the biggest issue is just the automatic conversion that
is occurring on string or date-time input.   We should stop using the local
time-zone (explicit is better than implicit strikes again) and not use any
time-zone unless time-zone information is provided in the string.      I am
definitely +1 on that.

It may be necessary to carry around another flag in the data-type to
indicate whether or not the date-time is naive (not time-zone aware) or
time-zone aware so that string printing does not print a time-zone if it
didn't have one to begin with as well.

If others agree that this is the best way forward, then Mark or I can
definitely help contribute a patch.

Best,

-Travis

---