[Numpy-discussion] Moving linalg c code

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 08:44:06 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:49 AM, Dave Hirschfeld
<dave.hirschfeld at gmail.com> wrote:
> Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Hi All,There is a PR that adds some blas and lapack functions to numpy. I'm
> thinking that if that PR is merged it would be good to move all of the blas
> and lapack functions, including the current ones in numpy/linalg into a single
> directory somewhere in numpy/core/src. So there are two questions here: should
> we be adding the new functions, and if so, should we consolidate all the blas
> and lapack C code into its own directory somewhere in numpy/core/src.Thoughts?
> Chuck
>>

> The code in the aforementioned PR would be very useful to me in performance
> critical areas of my code. So much so in fact that I've actually rolled my own
> functions in cython to do what I need. I'd be happy if the functionality was
> available by default in numpy though.

What I see form a quick browse of the PR, is that we can get most of linalg to
work on many matrices (2d arrays) at the same time.
(It's the first time we get generalized u-functions that are targeted to users,
IISIC, if I see it correctly)

I would also like to see these added, and we will have many cases where this
will be very useful in statistics and statsmodels.

Josef