[Numpy-discussion] GSoC application time!

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 14:43:42 EDT 2013

Hi,

This is for all students planning to put in a GSoC'13 application for
Numpy/Scipy. As you probably noticed, you are now able to submit your
application in Melange. We're participating under the PSF org. Terri Oda,
who is the PSF organizer, sent out the below announcement with tips and
requirements as well as a helpful application template - please read those.

When you have a draft proposal ready, I suggest you
  a) submit it already, since you can edit it later
  b) discuss it on the numpy-discussion or scipy-dev list

If you haven't submitted a pull request yet, it's a good idea to do so asap
- getting your first patch merged may be nontrivial and require some
rework, so don't wait till the last day! Of all the requirements, I want to
stress that discussing your proposal and interacting with the community is
especially important. Not only will it help improve your proposal, it is
also something we will pay attention to when ranking the proposals. Reason:
it's a good predictor of the success of your project, both in terms of
code/features contributed and of whether you're interested and likely to
stay involved after GSoC ends. The latter is at least as important to us as
the former.

Cheers,
Ralf

P.S. I will be offline from April 25th to 29th.