[Numpy-discussion] Deprecation of financial routines

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 10:04:19 EDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Cera, Tim <tim at cerazone.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 2:37 AM, Juan Luis Cano <juanlu001 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > As now master is open for 1.9, following the discussion opened here
>> >
>> > https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/2880
>> >
>> > it was suggested that we deprecate and eventually remove the financial
>> > functions in NumPy, because they pollute the main namespace and some are
>> > unimplemented. We could put them in a separate package, in case it
>> > doesn't exist yet. Nathaniel Smith and Ralf Gommers already gave +1, and
>> > Charles Harris suggested bringing this up in the mailing list.
>

> +1 on scipy.finance / scipy.financial (or even numpy.finance /
> numpy.financial)

I think now scipy.finance is overkill. There isn't enough to warrant a
subpackage. And for serious code, users should use other packages
(like pandas, ...).

numpy.financial like matplotlib.finance
just to satisfy some basic spread sheet use cases
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2259379/basic-financial-library-for-python

If the python standard lib can get statistics, then numpy can keep
some basic financial calculations.

+0.5 on numpy.finance / numpy.financial
with explicit import (?)

(proposal for new function `numpy.spreadsheet_calculation` :)

Josef