[Numpy-discussion] Adding an axis argument to numpy.unique

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue Aug 20 05:04:25 EDT 2013

On 20 Aug 2013 01:39, "Joe Kington" <joferkington at gmail.com> wrote:

> ...<snip>
>>

>> However, my first interpretation of an axis argument in unique would
>> be that it treats each column (or whatever along axis) separately.
>> Analogously to max, argmax and similar.
>

> Good point!
>
> That's certainly a potential source of confusion.  However, I can't seem
to come up with a better name for the kwarg. Matlab's "unique" function has
a "rows" option, which is probably a more intuitive name, but doesn't imply
the expansion to N-dimensions.

> "axis" is still fairly idiomatic, despite the confusion over "unique
rows/columns/etc" vs "unique items within each row/column/etc".

> Any thoughts on a better name for the argument?

I also found this pretty confusing when first looking at the PR.

One option might be to invert the sense of the argument to emphasize that
it's treating subarrays as units, so instead of specifying the iteration
axis you specify the axes of the subarray. compare_axis= or something?

-n