[Numpy-discussion] OS X binaries for releases

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 02:41:57 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:10 AM, Kyle Mandli <kyle.mandli at gmail.com> wrote:

> This would be an appropriate time I suppose to say I am attempting to
> build numpy, scipy and matplotlib on 10.9.  NDA of course prohibits me
> (unfortunately) from really discussing things but safe to say I would
> support "moving on".  There are a multitude of issues that would be
> resolved by dropping support for PPC (build complexity) and supporting SDKs
> versions > 10.6.

I don't think dropping anything will help you with building on 10.9. Unless
you're trying to replicate the numpy binaries? There's now two builds:
1. 10.5+, universal binary, 32bit Intel + PPC
2. 10.6+, universal binary, 32bit Intel + 64bit Intel

You need the latter, so dropping the former doesn't really make a
difference. You also don't need to worry about getting your binary to run
on 10.6-10.8 I guess, so you're left with:
3. 10.9 universal binary, 32bit Intel + 64bit Intel

We're not going to drop the 32-bit part of that build, so nothing changes
for building for yourself on recent OS X's.

Ralf