[Numpy-discussion] What is a numpy.long type?

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Fri Aug 23 11:11:56 EDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-08-23 at 07:59 -0700, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal wrote:
> On Aug 22, 2013, at 11:57 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
> wrote:

<snip>

> > arch -32 python -c "import numpy as np; print np.dtype(np.int);
> > print np.dtype(np.long)"
> > int32
> > int64
>

> So this is giving us a 64 bit int--not a bad compromise, but not a
> python long--I've got to wonder why the alias is there at all.

It is there because you can't remove it :).

> > arch -64 python -c "import numpy as np; print np.dtype(np.int);
> > print np.dtype(np.long)"
> > int64
> > int64
> >

> Same thing on 64 bit.
>

> So while np.long is an alias to python long--it apparently is
> translated internally as 64 bit -- everywhere?

Not sure how a python long is translated...

> So apparently there is no way to get a "platform long". ( or, for that
> matter, a platform anything else, it's just that there is more
> consistancy among common platforms for the others)

An np.int_ is a platform long, since the python ints are C longs. It is
a bit weird naming, but it is transparent. Check
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-dev/reference/arrays.scalars.html#built-in-scalar-types

you got everything platform dependend there really. `intc` is an int,
`int_` is a long, and you got `longlong`, as well as `intp` which is an
ssize_t, etc.

- Sebastian