[Numpy-discussion] Relative speed

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 14:00:49 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Jonathan T. Niehof <jniehof at lanl.gov>wrote:

> On 08/29/2013 09:33 AM, Anubhab Baksi wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I need to know about the relative speed (i.e., which one is faster) of
> > the followings:
> > 1. list and numpy array, tuples and numpy array
> > 2. list of tuples and numpy matrix (first one is rectangular)
> > 3. random.randint() and numpy.random.random_integers()

Hi Anubhab, if you have a reasonably large amount of data (say O(100)),
always try to use numpy arrays and not lists or tuples - it'll be faster.
I'd recommend not to use numpy.matrix, it's speed will be similar to numpy
arrays but it has some peculiarities that you'd rather not deal with. For
the random numbers I'm not sure without checking, just timing it in ipython
with %timeit is indeed the way to go.

Cheers,
Ralf

> African or European?