[Numpy-discussion] nasty bug in 1.8.0??

Frédéric Bastien nouiz at nouiz.org
Mon Dec 2 14:19:07 EST 2013

There is a way to compile NumPy to use strange strides for dimension
with shape of 1.

This is done to help developer test their code to don't rely on this.
There was never a warranty to the value of strides in that cases. Most
of the time, it was the same, but in some cases, it was different.

Using such strange strides will cause segfault if you use them, so it
allow to see if you rely on them.

In Theano, we did some assertion on strides and checked them for
optimized call to blas. So we will need to change some code to support
this.

But I don't those strange strides should happen in the wild. Did you
installed NumPy manually?

Fred